Sunday, December 17, 2006

Scientologist blasephemy


Beck is a Jew, but both his parents are Scientologists. I remember when I first heard about it, I thought about Sea Change. Its such a wierd album to my ears.
"Paper Tiger" - Backed by an ebbing string section, his vocals creep me out, but in a good way. The song is really pessimistic, but its shows Beck's ability to come out with something new and original. It also shows his flexibility.

I am actually suprsied Beck rebounded from it so well. Guero is my favorite of his thus far.
The reason I like Beck is because he challenges standardized genres. You might say he's indie, but he's a bit electronic and he's done a song with Timbaland in Moulin Rouge. Guero is not afraid to show its Latin American influences.
"E-Pro" - Tying it into the last entry, the Beastie Boys helped write this song. Its got a great distorted guitar riff, a bouncy lyric line, and those damn catchy na-na-na-na-nas. This song really captures the feel of a comeback and Guero as a whole.

"He's A Mighty Good Leader" - My favorite Beck song, its a little sing-a-long folk diddy. The way each note is hit on a slightly out of tune guitar makes it feel more intimate. I'm not sure, but it may be about scientology...(buy One Foot in the Grave)

3 Comments:

Blogger MorsaJones said...

i just picked up beck's latest.. information.. and i was reminded how much i like him.. i'm never disappointed with what he does, although i do like some more than others..

he's a mighty good leader is actually a traditional song, i think it might've been written by skip james.. not to say i like beck's version any less because of that..

but still. it weirds me out when i'm reminded he's a scientologist. i guess they're not all bad? heh.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOW TO TEST IF YOU'RE A BIGOT

A good exercise to do when you're talking about any particular group, is to simply replace the group with another group and see how it sounds.

For example, "I guess they're not all that bad? heh."

Ok, let's play the bigot game:

"I guess those Scientologists are not all that bad? heh."

"I guess those Blacks are not all that bad? heh."

"I guess those Jews are not all that bad? heh."

"I guess those Catholics are not all that bad? heh."

"I guess those Italians not all that bad? heh."

"I guess Hispanics not all that bad? heh."

Get the idea?
Reflect on it a while.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home