Monday, July 10, 2006

A good band to a good label

Italy won the world cup. If this was the first place you heard it, where have you been? I have songs picked out to honor our winners and poke fun at Zidane (and his crazy widow's peak). That move was even more insane than anything France's goalie Barthez has ever done.


IN OTHER NEWS
One of my favorite bands is Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin. One of my favorite labels is Polyvinyl Records. Honestly, I was supprised to see SSLYBY sign because I forgot they were unsigned. Whatevs. They are super schnazzy. I kinda do a shoulder twitch to their songs. They probably have my favorite guitar sound out there. Broom (buy it here!) was released in 2005 and I thought it was amazing. Here is a song:

"House Fire" - This is one of my favorite songs of all time. The drop at the start of the song can play forever in my head. The vocals (yes, I'm including the backup ones too) give some yearning, hope, a dash of anguish, and overwhelming amusement. The best line in the song is "We did what we did to keep this car from crashing," and of course its a metaphor for their relationship. Its chock-full of metaphors, but he can't deny that it just all was ruined in the end. He's ok though because he did all he could. Its so wonderful you just have to hear it for yourself. This song doesn't rock, it pulls you along with it.

BONUS: SSLYBY "Boring Fountain" - Its an older song. Its the song that sold me on these guys first though. I don't think you'll need to be more convinced after House Fire, but if you like that, you'll assuredly want to listen to this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home